10 Crazy Facts About Minnesota Hockey
Minnesota just might be the epicenter for hockey in the U.S. It could be said that children in the state are born with hockey sticks in their hands, and it is little surprise that this place is home to one of the most thriving hockey scenes anywhere. Read on to discover ten facts that show just how crazy Minnesota is about hockey sticks and pucks.
- There is no question that people in Minnesota love hockey, but for many in the area the game goes beyond being a simple hobby. In fact, many Minnesota residents go on to hoist their hockey sticks professionally. The state has produced the most active NHL players of anywhere in the U.S.
- If you want further proof that Minnesota residents have an undying love for the game of hockey, consider the fact that modern rollerblades were invented in Minnesota. What does that have to do with hockey? Well, they were invented by a pair of brothers looking for a way to practice hockey in the off-season!
- Eveleth, Minnesota is the site of the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, which is truly a treasure trove of U.S. hockey memories. This monument serves as just one more example of how much Minnesota appreciates the sport of hockey.
- The Miracle on Ice game between the United States and the Soviets was a monumental sports moment that has since been honored with a full length Hollywood movie. What many people do not know is that a total of 13 out of the 20 U.S. players were born in Minnesota. Talk about making an impact!
- Speaking of the Miracle on Ice, that team’s legendary coach Herb Brooks was from Minnesota as well. Over his lengthy career, Brooks caved out a reputation as perhaps the greatest hockey coach of all time. He coached numerous times in the NHL and initially established himself by coaching the University of Minnesota Gophers.
- The Minnesota Wild are the local professional hockey team, and their fans around the state are particularly rabid. When the team was founded in 2000, eager Minnesota residents celebrated their arrival by taking part in 409 straight complete sellouts. This accomplishment shows just how ready Minnesota was for a professional team.
- Every year, thousands of the state’s best high school players pick up their hockey sticks and do their part to bring their team to glory. The high school season culminated in one of the biggest and most celebrated state hockey tournaments found anywhere.
- Beyond the high school level, Minnesota is also home to a thriving junior hockey league. This league places an emphasis on skills development and features many of the fastest rising stars in the game of hockey today.
- Out of the current 58 Division One level college hockey teams, the state of Minnesota is home to 6. This comes as little surprise, considering that kids are taught hockey from an early age in Minnesota and the local colleges are truly just meeting the demand for the sport.
- In 2009, the Minnesota State Legislature did its part to show just how much the sport of Hockey means to the state. They declared hockey to be the official sport of Minnesota, offering up just one more way that the game helps to define the state.
If you love hockey as much as people from Minnesota do, you need to keep yourself in the game by making sure all of your gear is up to date. Sharpen up your skates and pick out some new hockey sticks and start playing like a Minnesotan.
~ Colin in Chicago